Friday, August 29, 2008

Seussical Thoughts

So I'm here at opening night for seussical. Its going on as I sit here and type this, but why am I not watching it? Well I was, I came to finally relax and watch it in peace and see how well sound was going to be ran. It was kelly's show now and I wasn't required to work on it since as of thursday my job as sound designer was over. Last guy got into trouble for going up to the sound booth so I decided to avoid that and just try to peacefully watch the musical.
Yeah Right, I never even stepped foot into the audience as I was going to just listen the show because I didn't want to deal with Glen's smug little face. So as I sit outside in the lobby just talking to Bob and listening to the show, Glen pops out and orders me to fix some mic problem that's going on. Now, I hate Glen with a passion, but I love the show, so for the sake of the show I take care of it and take the mic up to Kelly the Stage manager to see what she can do. As I turn around to return to the lobby I see the one thing that made me oh so happy. Trent is up in the sound booth with the sound operators, that gave me a little peace of mind, why? Well during my time as Sound Designer I was constantly having problems with the mics, volume balance, and just all around cue problems, All the time getting yelled at, glared at, insulted at and receiving death threats from Glen. My self esteem was shot to hell, my own abilities are doubted by me and my stress level was through the roof all because I couldn't find the balance.
So seeing Trent up there made me feel good, if anyone could fine the balance, it was Trent.
So after that little ordeal I decided to head up to the rehearsal room and kinda just post this, considering that I hadn't done a proper post in a long while. All the while, listening to the magic that is the great and wonderful show, Seussical The Musical (while receiving musical help from Trent).
Now, Why do I hate glenn with a passion?
Well, he's a jerk to technical crew. He doesn't understand that we are handicapped because we are dealing with DVD audio rather than our regular computer. He tells me he can't hear a balance, but won't tell me what he want. He tells us he wants music louder, but when we make it louder, it is TOO loud. Then the DVD won't cooperate and messes up the last cue and that his junior high students could do our job better than us (then bring them over so I can call it a night). That's basically it, well there's more but I've vented what needed to be vented. Although I have heard that as a director he is a great guy, but that's only word of mouth.

No comments: