Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Train

The whistle blows so low and quiet,
the morning fog covers the tracks;
no one knows where it goes
or when it returns or when
it goes to its secret destination.

I bought my ticket, it was free,
but not everyone can purchase
one, not the rich nor the poor.
Only the brave can buy it.

I boarded the train, I was
alone in the car. The conductor
was there, she talked to me and
took my pass for the train.

Watching the trees going by,
passing trains that I can no longer
board, I am bound to this train.
I do not know where it is going
and that scares. Bound to a train
with no destination.

It will not stop, I don't know if it
speeds up or slows down; only
that it goes forward. I want to get
off, I just can't talk to the conductor.

1 comment:

S.R. Braddy said...

Favorite line: "Only the brave can buy it." I'm not even sure why - the line just grabbed me.

Also: "I want to get off, I just can't talk to the conductor." One some level, there's a real resonance there - I connect. Again, I don't know why.