Thursday, April 26, 2012

First Impression Review: Supercrooks

I usually don't like to review comics based off of one issue. I think it's like critiquing a movie based off of one scene, but people don't always like to wait till the third or so issue to find out if something's good or not. I decided to do First Impression reviews in order to critique a single issue of a comic book series, usually a first issue. I'm starting out by doing Supercrooks... or as it's stylized, SUPERCROOKS.


To start off, I'm not super familiar with Mark Millar's work, specifically his own original series. This issue was a fun read. The premise is that there's too many superheroes around (specifically in the U.S.) and that makes it hard for criminals to be... you know, criminals. Even powered criminals are having trouble with this and they can't even do simply street crimes. Our main character decides that the best course of action is to do a big heist. . . in another country.

I loved the art in this mostly because I do love Leinil Yu's line work. The action is very few and takes place only at the beginning. The characters look fine, nothing too out of the ordinary, and the design is also good.

Millar's writing is good too. Why wouldn't it be? You get a solid feel for the characters and the flow of the story is evenly paced.

I give this 3 super-douches out of 5.
Overall, A decent book. I have understood that it's only a 4 issue series. I personally wouldn't pick up the rest of the books.
Also, #2 came out this week. pick up both if you want.

Supercrooks #1 is published by Icon at 2.99 for this issue.
Same for #2. just saying.
Don't tell them that Aldo Approves, but that he likes it, but not like likes it.

No comments: