Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How much can a child do to help the world?

So at about october 2007 I made a free website. Mind you, I still hadn't decided to make websites for my career, So the quality of the website is not reminiscent of my true ability. The website was a donation website to help a small girl named Kasandra. She was deported and had lung cancer and her family could not pay for the chemotherapy. It was truly sad and I did what I could, make a website. We had it linked to information about her, about lung cancer, and a link to donate money into an account for the parents to access and pay. I was never told how much money was made and how many treatments she received, but she didn't pull through. So I decided to pull down the website (not before taking some screenshots for my portfolio).
This got me to thinking... how much can 1 person do? I don't really know, but sometimes I don't think I do too much. It's not because of my own ability, but because the people around me. People like Glen, Raul, Nick and several others. Why do I let them decide what I do or how much impact I can have on the world?
If I had not made that website would Kasandra have died earlier? would she have hurt more? I don't know and I don't really want to bring up the topic to her parents... but the question still arises...

... How much can a child to to help the world?

Because afterall... According to everyone (or most) I am still a child.

This is a series of screenshots that I took for my portfolio.
Kasandra2007 (The .com website is taken down, or should be by the time anyone reads this)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aldo

I stumbled upon your blog and I'm so glad I did! You are a very interesting person and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the trials and tribulations of an 18 year old man. I wish you all the best in your future, I'm sure it will be great :o) Also I think what you did for this girl was beautiful - I wish there were more people in the world like you.

I will be sure to keep coming back to your blog to see what you have been up to!

Greetings from a girl little ole New Zealand :o)