Monday, May 5, 2008

Golden Slumbers: A Play

So basically. I wrote this small play backstage of the Empress during the One Acts. I wrote it in one night. yay for me. Don't worry, this isn't based on any true events or anything like that. I just started typing until i finished it. oh well. i hope it makes you cry. and if it doesnt, then listen to the song and then youll cry. if you still dont... then you have some head problems.

1: Franklin - 9 years old
2: Jake - 15 years old
3: Cop - Middle Aged
4: Head Officer - Near retirement
5: Older Franklin - 19 years old

Time: Midnight
Place: underneath a highway bridge
Circumstances: both children are runaways, they are brothers abused by the same father. they are escaping to "The Safe Place".

scene 1

1- I'm cold
2- i know
1- did you bring any blankets
2- yes, but we lost them when we entered the city
1- oh... do you think father is looking for us
2- i hope not
1- but what if he is
2- -- then we keep running! (beat) i wont let him hurt you anymore
1- you know he didn't mean it
2- thats what he says
1- i think he meant it
2- he never means it
1- i think he actually mean--
2- -- HE NEVER MEANT IT!!!
1- I'm sorry
2- no... i am
1- why
2- i couldn't protect you... i always thought that if he hurt me...
1- if he hurt you...
2- then he would leave you alone... its getting late.... no one will see us underneath this bridge
(beat)
2- you should get some sleep
1- will you sing me asleep
2- sure... what do you want me to sing you
1- something by The Beatles
2- sure... (Golden Slumber)

scene 2

2- hey, wake up
1- huh
2- i heard some cops
1- and...
2- if they find us then they'll take us back
1- maybe he wont hurt us
2- no. he'll hurt us more. he'll make our lives hell
1- maybe he'll realize how---
2- -- HE WONT REALIZE ANYTHING!
3- whose there?
2- crap
1- he heard us
3- if your hiding you can come out
2- shh
1- okay
2- ugh.. he has a flashlight
3- hey listen... you kids
1- what do we do?
2- run!
1- no!
2- please, i don't want you to go back
3- are you kids runaways?
2- what if we are
3- i can help you
1- really
2- he's just lying
1- please help us, were cold and hungry
2- shut up, he just wants us to go back
3- please, if i can take you guys back to the station we can work this out
2- stay in here!
1- he's not lying!
3- please... i can you help you

scene 3

4- so what did you find out
3- the little one is nine years old. his name is franklin.
4- and the other
3- he wont talk
4- what about frank
3- franklin, he doesn't like frank
4- whatever, did he say anything else
3- yeah, his brother is fifteen years old, his name is jake
4- i meant why did we find them cold, hungry and underneath a highway bridge
3- they're runaways. their father apparently beats them
4- any bruises
3- several
4- what rooms are they in
3- they are in rooms 7 and 8
4- why are the doors open
3- they shouldn't be
4- my god, your an idiot! they ran away!

scene 4

1- they said they wouldn't take us back
2- can't you understand that they all lie
1- but he promised
2- its their job to take us back
1- where are we going now
2- were looking for the safe place
1- where is it
2- i don't know, someone is bound to know
1- how will we know when were there
2- because thats when we'll stop running
(beat)
1- brother, I'm cold
2- I'm sorry franklin
1- wheres our stuff
2- i forgot it at the station
1- oh
2- here, take my sweater
1- but then you'll be cold
2- its okay, i like the cold
1- brother... I'm tired
2- here, we'll go to sleep
1- will you sing to me again
2- sure thing (golden slumbers)

Scene 5

Older Franklin's Monologue

He is standing at a grave-site. the headstone reads "Jake, beloved brother, May you sleep with Golden Slumbers in your eyes"

so, it looks like you reached it. the safe place. i always thought it was going to have a sign or something I guess not. do you want to know what happened? you should know. after i fell asleep, you did too. the same cop found me again, and you. he woke me up, and then he tried to wake you up. but you wouldn't wake up. there were sirens all over the place, everyone would crowd you and no one would let me see what happened. they gave you CPR, then they shocked you... and then they just cried. they cried and put you in an ambulance. no one would tell me what happened, they just told me that you went to sleep, and that it was too cold to for you to handle it. and that you wouldn't be waking up. (beat) i guess everyones safe place is different. i guess the smiles that awaited you... never reached you. but the golden slumbers were in my eyes... and they're still there. every morning when i wake up. for the past ten years, i wake up... and the golden slumbers are there. you always protected me... and all i could ever do was ask you to sing for me. and you always sang that song. (beat) he's in jail now. i thought that you should know that. he's not allowed to come near me... ever. I'm going to college too... i thought you should know that. I'm studying music... my foster family gave me a guitar. they said that i had a good ear for music... i guess that was my golden slumber huh? your music... if only you could hear me. I've gotten so well... I'm in a band... and at the end we always play the same song... tonight were changing it... were moving on to the next track. because for ten years... i have been carrying that weight... and now i believe that i have to move on. you gave me your life... so i could live mine. thank you.
(Golden Slumbers - Carry that weight)

No comments: